Thursday, February 27, 2014

Happy Birthday with a Cherry On Top

When I was six years old, I was a flower girl for my cousin's wedding. This honor is among my earliest memories of a life-long relationship with Sharon and David. My cousin, Sharon, is a faithful card-sender who lavishes love through snail mail on her many fortunate recipients. As the rest of us have lazily moved to email, then texts, Sharon has resisted and instead spends her early mornings faithfully writing notes, sending birthday, anniversary, get-well, condolence and congratulations cards. I can't even conceive of the amount of time she has given to her personal ministry of care over the years!

When you receive a card from Sharon, you know that you are adored and valued. The warmest woman I have ever known, Sharon pours all of her loving intention into each card, making the outpouring itself a most precious gift.

My dear cousins and I have both aged and I am not so faithful as Sharon - particularly to David. Mostly I have missed his birthdays. This year, I was determined to do better and make David a special card. I selected a file from the Silhouette store, 'a2 Cupcake Shaped Card' by Lori Whitlock.

I used the print and cut feature to add a birthday sentiment before cutting the card base. The font I used is AMTypical. After cutting the 'icing,' I ran the pink cardstock through my Cuttlebug embosser using an all-over swirls embossing folder. I made multiple copies of the cherry embellishment for heft, stacking them one upon the other, finally popping up the last copy for dimension. Lastly, I glazed the icing swirls with Stickles.

I am confident that David is secure enough in his masculinity to receive a pink iced cupcake for his birthday card.
 
 

On the back of each card I make, I stamp a tea bag as a signature and add my name and the year.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment